Saturday, March 23, 2013

Happiness is. . . a Green Juice for Non-Veggie Eaters



Hello lovelies!  I wanted to quickly share a little recipe for those of you who are thinking about jumping, or have recently jumped, in the "Juicing" bandwagon like I did last year.  This is a very simple, fast and easy veggie juice that I like to drink everyday, especially in the mornings.  Honestly, the hardest part is cleaning the juicer at the end since it has so many parts.  Ugh!

Growing up in Puerto Rico my diet consisted in rice and beans with some sort of protein (usually chicken or pork) and a side of a plantain dish.  For those of you not familiar with the Latin cuisine, a plantain is a type of banana that us Latinos, especially from the Caribbean, love to eat with almost every meal.  I never, ever used to eat salads or vegetables.

Now that I'm all grown up I'm trying to eat healthier.  I recently switched to an organic, Pescetarian diet and I'm about 90% gluten free at the moment.  I'm also trying to eat a decent amount of fruits and vegetables everyday, but the problem is that I really don't like the taste of veggies.  That's exactly why I started juicing last year in a way to incorporate vegetables to my diet.  But even in a juice form I still didn't enjoy the taste of vegetables.

I wanted to not only tolerate but actually ENJOY drinking my veggie juice, so I started to experiment adding other ingredients to my concoctions.  The magic ingredient that made all the difference?  PINEAPPLE!  I don't know if it's because I love tropical fruits (after all I come from the land that came up with the Piña Colada recipe) but it makes any green juice so much better.  If you are a fussy eater like me and want to give juicing a try I highly recommend you add pineapple to your drinks.  You can thank me later!  Here's the ingredients:


Spinach


Kale


Celery


Cucumber


Granny Smith Apple


Ginger (use only a tiny piece, peeled)


Pineapple


My juicer is a Breville

Simply put all the ingredients in your juicer and voila!  You got yourself a healthy and delicious green juice.  I also like to add lime to this recipe but I didn't have any today.  Do like juicing?  Do you have any favorite recipes?

Happy juicing everyone!

Besos, Isabel xox



No comments:

Post a Comment