Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happiness is. . . a "Clueless" Inspired Look

Movie poster from Paramount Pictures

Hello dolls!  Hope you all had an amazing Sunday.  I'm so excited to share with you an affordable look I came up with inspired in the fashion of the iconic 1995 film "Clueless".  If you were a teenager in the 90's you have to had seen this movie and, most likely, LOVED it just as much as I did.  I watched this flick over and over again and I never got tired of it.  I loved the fashion, the lingo ("As if!") and, most of all, the cast starting with the heroine Cher (Alicia Silverstone); the spoiled brat with the heart of gold, her best friend Dionne (Stacey Dash), and the new girl/makeover project Tai (the late Brittany Murphy).  Amy Heckerling's movie came as a breath of fresh air in a very dark moment in fashion; when it was all about the grunge music, the flannel shirts, the baggy pants and the combat boots.  "Clueless" brought out the girly girl in all of us and suddenly the chic preppy look was "IN": mini skirts, cute sweaters, over the knee socks, Mary Janes and fun hats, all worn in matchy-matchy pastel colors.  Oh so lovely!  I was captivated by this movie from its opening scene, smartly featuring the song "We're the Kids in America".  It looked like the perfect teenage dream or, like Cher said, "a Noxzema commercial" and I knew then that we were witnessing a very much needed fashion renaissance.

I was really excited when California based label WildFox came up with their Spring 2013 collection earlier this year, inspired in no other than my beloved "Clueless".  They did such an AMAZING job!  If you haven't seen the look book or the collection yet here are some of my favorite images:

Bravo to the models!  They captured the essence of Dionne, Cher and Tai perfectly
Fantastic setting for the photo shoot featuring Cher's mansion, her white Jeep and Rodeo Drive

A modern ode to an unforgettable fashion flick
If you want to see the rest of the pictures (as you should!) and learn more about the inspiration for the fashion and the photo shoot visit WildFox's blog and if you want to shop the collection you can do so by going here.

Ever since I saw these pictures I've been wanting to come up with a look of my own that Cher Horowitz would've worn today (if she were on a budget like me) and this is what I came up with.  I hope you like my outfit!




"Clueless" Outfit Breakdown:

Belted Lace Romper from Forever 21 
Tuxedo Jacket from Forever 21
Knee High Socks from Macy's
Round-Toe Sueded Wedge from Charlotte Russe
Lancaster Zipper Satchel from Francesca's
Oversize sunglasses from Francesca's
Necklace from Disney Couture by Kidada


Major photo bomb - "As if!" 

I think Cher would have wanted a cute companion like my Shih Tzu Penelope :)



I went with light pink wedges instead of Mary Janes paired up with knee high socks... a la Cher!

This is a perfect Cher Horowitz necklace.  It's not Tiffany's but I think she would've loved it!

Instead of a little backpack, Cher would wear an oversize bag like this one today

You can't forget the ginormous shades, of course ;)

What do you think about the Wildfox "Clueless" collection?  Did you get a sense of nostalgic joy when you saw it?  Were you as obsessed with this movie as I was growing up?


Besos,  Isabel  xox  

    



 

No comments:

Post a Comment